DIRECTV provides world class digital content delivery and is continuing to expand it’s role as the largest digital video service provider in the world - diving into engineering challenges with OTT Content Delivery, Mobile streaming, Video on Demand, Interactive Services, Recommendations, and Dynamic Ad Insertion. Challenging our teams to produce innovative solutions more quickly we are seeking talented, energetic engineers to develop and architect the future of cloud infrastructure that scales seamlessly to meet the growth of services and exceed customer performance expectations. Our vibrant, fast paced environment is the perfect place for an enthusiastic engineer to thrive in.
· DIRECTV entertains over 37 Million Subscribers
· DIRECTV has $30 Billion in Annual Revenues
· DIRECTV is the Undisputed Leader in Sports
· DIRECTV offers NFL Sunday Ticket
· DIRECTV ingests thousands of Local Channels in the U.S.
· DIRECTV has offices in Los Angeles (Headquarters)
· DIRECTV Blimp features the world's only 2,100-square-foot LED screen
You're a Cloud Developer with a passion for Cloud and DevOps concepts. You’ve developed applications for maximum efficiency and scalability. You yearn to reduce application dependencies, automate deployments, and optimize the continuous integration tool chain. You consider yourself Agile in nature and Waterfall is a word from the past.
You're someone who can ideate with application developers, infrastructure teams, network gurus, system architects, and operators to prototype and deliver solutions which drive change in the organization and transform the company on a cloud migration journey that has just begun. You enjoy evaluating and deploying the latest technologies turning the old way of doing things upside down. You'd like to use your experience in development and operations to create a game-changing transformation delivering the benefits of the cloud to the enterprise. You also understand that migrating legacy applications to the cloud is a marathon, not a sprint.
What You Will Do @ DIRECTV
In 6 months:
· Bridge the gap between application developers and operations
· Become a critical evangelist for cloud development
· Build out a cloud deployment model that transforms the business
· Lead the charge in cross-team collaborations
· Help establish cloud best practices
· Implement best-in-class methodologies for cloud development
· Dive deep into engineering application architectures, evaluate for cloud readiness and produce best practices based on your findings
· Socialize steps and benefits of a DevOps model and gain consensus from impacted groups
· Facilitate improvements to our application deployment process
· Lead the architecting and building of end-to-end cloud application deployments
· Understand dependencies of each service delivery chain, making architecture recommendations to increase efficiencies and produce cloud friendly designs
· Communicate cloud development concepts to software architecture, infrastructure architecture, operations and executive teams
· Become a cloud evangelist within DIRECTV
· Master the end-to-end delivery of each service and understand the dependencies and scaling of each application in the supply chain from data ingest to customer consumption
· Create reproducible methods to automate and scale each service delivery chain
· Document and present methodologies to operations, engineering and executive teams
· BS Degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), Computer Science (CS), or related discipline
· 5 yrs. experience working in a similar or related field
· Experience developing, operating, or architecting enterprise applications
· Experience deploying an application to the cloud
· Working knowledge of programming or scripting language
· Experience with deployment and configuration tools such as Jenkins, Chef, Puppet
· Able to lead meetings and effectively summarize and prioritize topics
· Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work in a high-pressure environment
Nice to Have:
· MS or advanced technical degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline.
· Experience as a DevOps engineer in a production cloud environment
· Experience with cloud management platforms such Rightscale, ServiceMesh, CliQr
· Experience with public clouds such as AWS, Google, Rackspace
· Experience with private clouds such as VMWare, OpenStack
· Experience as a system architect/administrator/operator in a production environment
· Knowledge of existing DIRECTV applications
· Knowledge of IAAS, PAAS and/or SAAS cloud technologies.
· Knowledge of network technologies (MPLS, routing protocols, forwarding), common infrastructure components (IPAM, DNS, DHCP), load balancers, firewalls, virtual and physical infrastructure design
· Experience with Linux distributions such as RedHat, Ubuntu, CentOS
· Experience with hypervisors such as VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer, Microsoft Hyper-V
· Experience with middleware platforms and digital rights management (DRM)
· Knowledge of latest video and over the top delivery technologies
· Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
· Knowledge of chargeback, billing, resource management
If you like this description, you’ll love this job. We want you to help us get much better at what we do. Want to know more? Contact us.