As a System, Application Administrator for the Broadcast Software Operations team at our California Broadcast Center in Los Angeles, California, you will be part of a vital team that supports entertainment programming that is broadcast to millions of customers across the US.
In this role you will have constant hands- on opportunities to work with the latest technologies and coordinate cross-functionally with subject matter experts to ensure our technological initiatives stay competitive and cutting edge. You will be directly responsible for conducting root cause analysis, troubleshooting, maintaining, upgrading and installing multiple UNIX and Windows systems. These systems are both vendor provided and proprietary and support critical broadcast functions such as program guides, and interactive TV applications.
There will never be a dull moment in this very high speed, complex, large technical environment. You will install applications that are built in-house, work with our network team to establish connectivity, and support the system after it launches. In order to do this you will need to stay ahead of the learning curve on all applicable viable technology as it comes on line as part of your own professional and leadership development.
Day to Day Responsibilities may look like this:
• Troubleshoot at a Tier II/Tier III level hardware, software and Windows/Linux operating system issues.
• Evaluate and maintain a strong understanding of capabilities and limitations of all software, and subsystems. Communicate this through cross function groups as part of day-to-day training, risk management, and decision making that will affect future resource acquisitions.
• Enhance exchange of knowledge throughout the organization through technical report writing and debriefing of findings, best practices, and processes.
• Make recommendations to improve services, risk mitigation, processes, and/or allocation of resources.
• Work on multiple projects under tight deadlines, shifting priorities, and changing scopes.
• Prioritize tasks to ensure deadlines are met and issues are resolved quickly and effectively.
• Ongoing communication with staff and cross functional groups. Communication will range from troubleshooting and problem solving, to project updates and announcing change.
• Provide regular status of assigned tasks to be submitted as a record of accomplishments for discussion.
• Follow departmental direction and generate/update documentation that will result in completed project milestones and tasks with minimal supervision.
• Follow deployment plans, performing maintenance requests, and/or generation of SOPs used by various support organizations.
• Championing learning initiatives to bring others up to speed and improve the services knowledge base among department principals.
• Independent problem solving and that can be used to lead problem solving efforts among peers and colleagues.
General Requirements: • BS degree in computer science or equivalent combination of education/experience.
• Ability to communicate, connects with, and effectively manage expectations of senior management, technical subject matter experts, and support staff.
• Confidence in communicating issues, making recommendations for solutions, implementing resolutions, and leading change across all levels of the organization.
Technical Must Haves:
• Practical work experience as a Unix/Linux or Windows System/Application Administrator.
• Scripting or programming proficiency (Perl, shell, Python, PHP, JAVA, C/C++, etc.).
• Strong hands-on experience in root cause analysis and troubleshooting and an extensive background with UNIX-based operating systems and shell scripting, MS-DOS batch filed and/or Perl on Win32/ UNIX.
• Experience installing/supporting software as well as a thorough understanding of Linux, Solaris and HP-UX operating systems and TCP/ IP networking.
• Experience with Relational Databases (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Sybase, DB2) is a plus.
• Storage administration concepts and practices using EMC, Ibrix, Netapp, and/or 3PAR in addition to related management and backup software.
• Able to create/update/administer online source code or documentation repositories, such as CVS or SVN, Wikis, or other web-based repositories.
• Have a thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle, including the application design, testing, and release processes, that can be used to support and contribute to the development of applications designed by DIRECTV Engineering and external vendors, alike.
• Proficiency in generating technical drawings that show equipment location, layout, and data flow according to site standards using technical drawing packages.
Unique Requirements of the Role:
• Must be willing to work flexible shifts to support a 24-7-365 facility
• Must be willing to work holidays, weekends, and overtime as needed.
• Availability for occasional domestic travel and commuting between sites as needed.
In addition, we look for people with the following attributes:
• Will Do/Can Do Attitude
• Flexible Adaptive
• Results driven
• Customer Service driven